Fredericksburg History

Historic Churches | Historic Schools

In April 1846, Baron Otfried Von Meuseback left New Braunfels leading a group of about 120 men, women and children headed for the present site of Fredericksburg, Texas. Transportation proved to be a problem, as the United States and Mexico were at war, and all the teamsters were employed by the government. Wagons were hard to come by, and some pioneers traveled in two-wheeled oxen carts, some on foot.

On May 8, 1846, the German pioneers reached their destination land; a small town called Fredericksburg was founded at a point 4 miles north of the Pedernales River, later called Baron Creek.

Each family received a two-acre tract of land and a town lot. The first buildings were of logs and hides, soon the settlers of Fredericksburg built sturdy permanent structures of native stone and timber. Realizing that many needs of the community would be brought by freight wagons,  they planned their streets accordingly. Each street was made wide enough to allow the freight wagon and a team of oxen to make a “U” turn.

Determined to let the world know Fredericksburg was a friendly town, the early settlers named their streets to signify that fact.

While traveling west from the center of town on Main Street, the cross streets are Crockett, Orange, Milam, Edison, Bowie, Acorn, Cherry and Kay; the first letter from each street spells “COME BACK”. Traveling east from center of town, the cross streets are Adams, Llano, Lincoln, Washington, Elk, Lee, Columbus, Olive, Mesquite and Eagle. The message of course reads “ALL WELCOME”.

Important in the settlement of the town and county was the establishment of the many churches and schools, many of which still stand today.